Switzerland Travel Guide
Switzerland, the Swiss wonderland is popularly called the “Paradise on Earth” due to its natural beauty, charming cities, and cultural diversity. The country is situated in the heart of Europe and attracts millions of visitors from across the world.
If you have a plan to visit Switzerland, here are tips, especially on the best places to visit in Switzerland, and how and where about the country.
Best Places to Visit in Switzerland
1. Zermatt and the Matterhorn
Everyone who goes to Switzerland usually thinks of Matterhorn, the iconic pyramid-shaped mountain in Zermatt. The majestic mountain is located in the charming town of Zermatt and is a center of attraction for all nature lovers and adventure seekers. Explore the Matterhorn Museum to learn about the history and its famous mountain climbers. Adventure lovers can enjoy world-class skiing and hiking. Take the help of a Switzerland travel guide to gain the maximum from your Zermatt trip.
Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland and is a cultural hub with many historical heritage sites. This bustling metropolis with its ultra-modern and excellent transport system can be an ideal place to start with your Swiss journey. Get into Altstadt, the Old Town, and explore its historical buildings in narrow streets. Zurich is one of the top places to visit in Switzerland due to its unique shopping attractions, international department stores, and world-class boutiques.
Lucerne is popularly called the “City of Lights” and is famous for its preserved medieval architecture. Do not miss the Chapel Bridge, one of the iconic landmarks of Lucerne which is a 14th-century wooden bridge adorned with a tower. The majestic Alps starts from here and Lucerne serves as the gateway to the Swiss Alps mountains and lakes. Above all, this iconic city is located in the heart of Switzerland and is one of the must-visit places in Switzerland.
Bern is the capital city of Switzerland, Bern and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Bern’s Old Town is a medieval town that is well-preserved and looks like a fairy tale attraction for visitors. Another focal place in Bern is the mediaeval clock tower which is a popular tourist destination. Never miss the Federal Palace, the Swiss Federal Assembly. Bern is one of the best places to visit in Switzerland.
Geneva is also called the “Capital of Peace,” and is the headquarters of many international organizations including the Red Cross and the UN. The city has over the period gained an international reputation in humanitarian campaigns and international diplomacy. Paying a visit to the Red Cross museum and the United Nations Office should be inspiring for you. Stroll along the beautiful lakeside of Geneva and the iconic Jet d’Eau, a large water fountain. Geneva is truly one of the most important and must-visit places in Switzerland.
Basel is situated in the northwest corner of Switzerland and is famous for its vibrant culture. The city is known for its world-class museums namely the Foundation Beyeler and the Kunst Museum Basel. Spare some time for the historic and charming Old Town with well-preserved architecture in its narrow streets. Beyond debate, Basel is one of the best places to visit in Switzerland.
Interlaken is located between Lake Thun and Lake Brienz and is a famous destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Interlaken is a small town full of adventure activities and other outdoor activities like hiking, paragliding, and water sports. There are mountains such as the Mönch, Eiger, and Jungfrau that offer breathtaking landscapes for hiking and skiing. Another attraction in Interlaken is the Jungfraujoch, known as the “Top of Europe”. Interlaken is truly one of the top places to visit in Switzerland.
8. The Swiss National Park
If you are a lover of nature, you must never miss the opportunity of visiting the Swiss National Park. The Swiss National Park is located in the Engadin Valley and spreads across 67,000 acres of virgin nature. This unique place is a pristine wilderness with marvelous native wildlife and diverse ecosystems. You can also enjoy the beauty of Alpine flowers, witness numerous hiking trails, and watch rare wildlife like ibex, chamois, and marmots. Never miss the chance to visit this unique place which is one of the best places to visit in Switzerland.
Top Things to Do in Switzerland
- Witness the Swiss Alps: The Swiss Alps are a major attraction for visitors from across the world. The iconic mountains in the Alps offer opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts throughout the year. Mountaineers and hikers are seen busy exploring the trails as well as climbing peaks like Monvh, Eiger, and Jungfrau in the summer. On the other hand, in the winter, the Alps turn into a haven for snowboarders and skiers and snowboarders. So, go to the Swiss Alps if you are confused about what to do and where to go in Switzerland.
- Enjoy a Train Journey: Switzerland is famous for its excellent railway network. You can enjoy a train journey on magnificent trains like Bernina Express, or Glacier Express and view the Alps’ incredible mountains and their flora and fauna. You can also enjoy the countryside scene from the comfort of these luxurious trains.
- Taste Swiss Chocolate: Switzerland is famous for high-quality, unique, and world-class chocolates. There are numerous chocolate factories across the cities like Geneva, Zurich, Lausanne, etc. You can taste the best chocolates in the world, witness how chocolates are made, and participate in making the chocolates yourself as well. This may be one of the best things to do in Switzerland for you.
- Participate in Cruise: Your Switzerland trip might not be completed without a boat cruise in Lake Geneva. Lake Geneva is one of the most beautiful and the largest lake in Europe and is famous for its luxurious and unique boat cruise and various cultural activities.
- Explore the Watchmaking History: Everyone knows about the Swiss watch and no introduction is needed for the excellence of the Swiss watches. However, few people know that Geneva has been the epicenter of the watch production industry. You can visit the International Museum of Horology and Patek Philippe Museum to know the history of watchmaking in Switzerland. Exploring the history of watchmaking in Geneva is genuinely one of the top things to do in Switzerland.
Best Time to Visit Switzerland
Switzerland constantly offers various activities around the year. Therefore, the best time to visit Switzerland depends on your preference and the types of activities you are interested in. Many visitors prefer to visit the country during the Spring from March to May every year as the Spring atmosphere in Switzerland is mild and beautiful. If you are interested in the Alps and mountain activities, then Spring is the best time to visit Switzerland.
On the other hand, Summer is the peak period for tourists and the climate is good and enjoyable with a lot of summer activities including biking, hiking, watersports, and other outdoor activities. However, autumn and winter also attract a lot of visitors to Switzerland. You can enjoy various snow activities, Christmas events, and shopping in winter and a milder climate in Autumn. If you are a lover of cheese, you can witness the world-famous Alpabfahrt event during Autumn.
How to Travel in Switzerland?
Traveling in Switzerland is perhaps the most delightful thing as the country has an excellent transport system across the land, mountains, and air. If you are confused about how to travel in Switzerland, below are some of the popular, safe, and affordable modes of travel in the country.
- The Swiss Federal Railways is the primary mode of train travel both for domestic and international travel. The train journey in Switzerland is comfortable, reliable, and enjoyable.
- Tram and bus services in cities like Zurich, Bern, Basel, and Geneva, are affordable and better for going round the cities.
- You can also travel by renting a car, or funiculars and cable cars, or take a boat or ferry journey to enjoy your travel.
- Bike rentals are also available in Switzerland.
Best Places to Stay in Switzerland
- The Best places to stay in Switzerland, especially in the cities are the hotels and lodges including boutique hotels.
- Hostels can be a good alternative if you are on a budget.
- You can also take advantage of vacation rentals and live on your own (self-cooking and self-cleaning).
- If you wish to stay near the Alps, you can search for Swiss Alps Reports.
- For residing in countryside villages look for Bread and Bed accommodations.
How to Find the Best Budget Switzerland Vacation Packages?
- For budget Switzerland vacation packages, carry out an online search of tours and travels and explore if you can find a cheaper package.
- Negotiate with the organizers for availing accommodation and other facilities if you are aiming for an event.
- Plan your tour during off-peak seasons.
- Take the advice of people who have already visited Switzerland.
Switzerland is a landlocked country known for its charming cities, stunning alpine landscapes, and rich cultural heritage. Being a paradise for travelers, Switzerland has something to offer everyone whether you are a lover of nature, an adventure seeker, or simply looking for a peaceful escape.
So, start your trip to Switzerland, if you have already made up your mind to visit many wonderful things in Switzerland.
About Author : Sukant Montry